Emergency Dentist – Salinas, CA
Your Emergency Dentist Can Save Your Smile
If you search for a definition for the word “emergency,” you’re likely to find something along the lines of “a serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action.” In fact, an emergency is usually scary, and nerve-wracking and often happens at the worst time possible. In the case of a dental emergency, you need a dentist and team who are ready to care for you with understanding, compassion, and professionalism. That said, our team is always here to provide fast and effective treatment when you need it. Keep reading below to learn a little more about how to get your smile the help it needs when you suffer a dental emergency in Salinas.
Why Choose Blanco Circle Dental Care for Emergency Dentistry?
- Same-Day Appointments Available
- Friendly and Experienced Dental Team
- Sedation Dentistry Options Available
What to Do in a Dental Emergency
When you sustain a dental emergency, it’s important to remember that time is of the essence! Here are three easy-to-follow steps:
- Call our office: We’ll let you know when you need to come in and what you need to do in the meantime. We’re proud to offer same-day appointments, but you can rest assured that we’ll also give you over-the-phone instructions to help with your discomfort.
- Let us perform an emergency exam: At our office, we’ll perform an emergency exam and take X-rays if necessary to determine the source of the issue. Based on our findings, we can then create a custom treatment plan to begin getting your smile back on track.
- Get the care you need: During the appointment, we can relieve your pain and then quickly begin addressing the issue. We also offer sedation dentistry if necessary. Some common services that we render during emergency dental visits include fillings, crowns, root canal therapy, and extractions.
The Most Common Dental Emergencies
Our team is well-equipped to handle all sorts of dental emergencies; whether your situation is the result of poor oral health, facial trauma, or something else, we’re ready to help! Since each situation is different, you’ll need to call us, describe your symptoms, and come in for a visit before we can accurately assess the best treatment for your smile. While you’re waiting for your appointment, you can use the following tips to keep yourself at ease.
Understanding the Cost of Emergency Dentistry
When it comes to treating dental emergencies, there are several factors that must be considered when determining the cost of treatment. That said, you shouldn’t let cost be the factor that determines whether or not you seek the help you need. Upon visiting us for a consultation, we can walk you through your treatment and all of the specific price points so that when it’s time to pay your bill, there aren’t any surprises.
Every Dental Emergency is Different
As we touched on in the previous paragraph, there are several factors that impact the cost of emergency dental care. That’s why we need to conduct a thorough exam first! In the process, we will determine the root of the problem, how severe it is, and what your treatment options are. From there, we can get to work on creating your custom treatment plan and review the associated cost so you aren’t surprised at the end of your visit.
Does Dental Insurance Cover Dental Emergencies?
Typically, dental insurance providers cover a portion of the cost. For example, they might cover between 50% and 80% of the necessary restorative care. Ultimately, it depends on the fine print on your dental plan. If you aren’t familiar with your benefits or you’re having a hard time deciphering the unfamiliar jargon on your paperwork, don’t worry – our Salinas dental team can help! We’re happy to welcome many of the nation’s leading providers and can file the claims on your behalf.
Other Options for Making Dental Emergencies Affordable
If you don’t have dental insurance, then we’ll discuss the other financial solutions we welcome. For example, you’re more than welcome to use cash, a check, or a major credit card to cover the cost of emergency dentistry. You can also breakdown the cost into smaller chunks with CareCredit. This trusted third-party financier offers several payment plans, allowing you to easily select the one that works best with your monthly budget. Perhaps even better, there are some options with little-to-no interest attached!
Taking Care Of Your Smile Can Save You Money
Of course, our team will do whatever we can to help you navigate the financial side of your treatment. However, a section dedicated to the cost of emergency dentistry would be incomplete without touching on preventive dentistry. After all, good oral hygiene habits (i.e., brushing twice a day, getting a dental checkup and cleaning twice a year, and not smoking) can go a long way in preventing gum disease, cavities, and other serious dental problems!
Keys to Preventing Dental Emergencies
Fortunately, there are several things you can do to prevent dental emergencies. Here are some key tips:
- Wear a mouthguard if you’re participating in sports or physical activities with the potential for facial impact. Custom mouthguards will offer superior protection and comfort.
- Avoid chewing on particularly hard and crunchy foods like popcorn kernels, nuts, ice, and more.
- Don’t use your teeth as tools, to open packaging, or to hold objects when your hands are full.
- If you suffer from bruxism and grind your teeth at night, you should consider speaking with us about a custom nightguard appliance.
- Practice excellent oral hygiene at home and schedule routine preventive care with us.
Dental Emergency FAQs
Dental emergencies have a knack for occurring when you least expect it—and certainly when it’s least convenient! That said, you might have concerns about what you need to do when the time comes for you to handle an emergency situation. Here are a few of the most frequently asked questions that we receive about dental emergencies so that you can feel a little better prepared about how to best act and ensure that your smile isn’t in any long-term danger.
What Counts as a Dental Emergency?
A dental emergency is anything that is bleeding, broken, or causing you pain in the oral cavity (i.e. mouth) or surrounding area. A dental emergency usually requires prompt treatment. Some of the most common emergencies include:
- Knocked out tooth
- Dislodged tooth
- Broken tooth
- Broken filling, crown, or other restoration
- Toothache or abscess
- Lesion to the soft oral tissues
- Something stuck between teeth
- Anything else that just doesn’t feel quite right
How Can I Manage Dental Pain?
A dental emergency is almost guaranteed to cause some amount of pain. You can feel free to take an over-the-counter pain medication as directed. Remember to drink plenty of water and avoid alcohol while you are taking pain medicine -- and do not use it for prolonged periods of time. Come see us for treatment to get out of pain and on with your life!
What If I’ve Broken a Filling or Crown?
Sometimes, a broken dental restoration can be temporarily repaired with toothpaste or a denture adhesive. Covering up any jagged edges with dental wax found at the pharmacy will prevent injury to the soft oral tissues.
Does Dental Insurance Cover Emergencies?
Dental insurance should cover a portion of the cost of a restorative treatment, like a dental crown, root canal, or extraction. We will work to maximize your coverage to ensure you get the most help from dental insurance.